Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
This week’s topic is Changes In My Reading Life. I’ll sharing to you the things that has changed in my reading life, like the books I read and how my taste has changed, as well as my go to genre incorporated in the list. (Find next week’s topic here.)
CHANGES IN MY READING LIFE
1. BECOMING A MOOD READER. Ever since I started going back into reading in my 3rd year in High School. Before I usually read any book I want to read with no worries, but as I fell in love back into reading it has changed. There are a lot of pros and cons in becoming a mood reader. One of the pros is once you’re in the mood of reading that book, you’d read it in one go. But the con is that you won’t even make it to the 10 page mark when you’re not in the mood read.
2. NIGHT OWL. Since High School has been a night owl but I usually struggle the following day. But since then I think I have mastered the art of being a night owl. I can read until 2 am and not worry about the following day, maybe it is because I usually wake up around 8 or 10 am. I was glad I had my classes around around my usual waking time. Giving me more time to sleep and rest before I face the day.
3. LOVING FANTASY BOOKS. When I started reading, I always, always read Contemporary or Romance Books only, or those that are close to being a fantasy book but not categorized as one. I started reading Fantasy books and I fell in love with the genre. The books that really pushed me to love fantasy was Throne of Glass and A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas.
4. HUGE TBR PILE. Ever since I started reading and loving it, my TBR pile has increased. I kept adding books I want to read every day because there are just a lot of great books out there. I know I won’t be able to read all of it, but as long as they are in that pile, I’ll slowly get into them.
5. BOOKSTAGRAM. I discovered a community that shares the same love for books and photography as me. I semi discovered it in my 1st year in College but really joined the community full swing in my second year. I even enhance my photography skills through this community. I have learned a lot both in books and photography. I have also learned and meet new authors and friends all throughout my journey.
6. READATHONS. I have joined a lot of month-long, week-long, or 24hours reading marathons. It help me read in so many ways. It has also thought me how to read faster than I used to because I need to meet a certain goal, like finishing at least two books in a day or getting badges when I read a certain book, and the likes. It is a bit hard but the journey is worth remembering.
7. AUDIOBOOKS. I got introduced to Audiobooks. It has help be in so many ways and it help me read faster. I don’t read in 2x speed like most of the other readers. I only read it at 1.5x speed for me to not get lost in following the flow of the books.
Those are the only things that has changed in my reading life. So with that I’ll jump into my go to genres to read.
Contemporary. This has been my favorite genre for so long already. I used to read only Young Adult books but since then, I have read Adult Contemporary books and loved them too.
Dystopian. I have read a lot of Dystopian books already and it is a genre that I kept going back too. They might be confusing and quite traumatic to think about, but some futures are slowly becoming a reality now and it is quite scary.
Fantasy. Ever since SJM, I have fallen for Fantasy books but they are books that is really hard to get into. The world building is intricate that it is hard to swallow all that is happening around the main character. But as you read more Fantasy it gets easier to understand. However there are still a lot of fantasy books that no matter how hard you try to get into the world, it just won’t work.
Science Fiction. My new discovery. I have slowly loved reading SciFi books and it is very amazing. I love how elaborated the world building is and how great authors are when it comes to creating such great worlds, outside and inside the universe.
Retellings. I have also grow fund of reading retellings. As a Disney baby, I love fairy tales and seeing a lot of authors putting their own little twist to these fairy tales brings so much joy to my heart. It is always a joy to see and love retellings. But retellings would be a hit or miss to readers.
That is about it for today’s Top Ten Tuesday. If you didn’t see my previous Top Ten Tuesday, you could check the list below:
FIND ME AT